UPDATE: Firefighters called to brigade to tackle Buckmaster’s Circle basement blaze

ST. JOHN’S, NL — A clothes dryer appears to be the cause of a house fire early Wednesday morning on Brigade Street at Buckmaster’s Circle in St. John’s.

The fire, which broke out shortly before 11 a.m., displaced the four occupants of the house and a number of cats.


A photo showing the clothes dryer completely destroyed after it was removed by firefighters from a house on Brigade Street in Buckmaster’s Circle on Wednesday morning April 27, 2022, -Joe Gibbons/The Telegram – Joseph Gibbons

The first St. John’s Regional Fire Department (SJRFD) team to arrive on the scene encountered smoke coming from the residence, which is owned by Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corp. (NLHC).

A person had entered the house in an attempt to rescue some of the animals, but had to turn back due to smoke, which was also seeping in through the door, windows and air vents.

Firefighters donned breathing apparatus as the attack lines were laid and loaded with water, then entered the house and searched the upstairs bedrooms.


Firefighter Gus Prowse recovers items as they are passed out by firefighters from the basement of a house on Brigade Street at Buckmaster's Circle in St. John's on Wednesday morning April 27.  Joe Gibbons • The Telegram - Joseph Gibbons
Firefighter Gus Prowse recovers items as they are passed out by firefighters from the basement of a house on Brigade Street at Buckmaster’s Circle in St. John’s on Wednesday morning April 27. Joe Gibbons • The Telegram – Joseph Gibbons

SJRFD platoon leader Derek Hunt told the Telegram at the scene: ‘All four occupants of the house have escaped, two adults and two children, and we are now looking for the eight cats in it.

The destroyed clothes dryer was removed from the back of the house by firefighters and placed in the backyard, while out front another firefighter placed items on the ground as they exited through an open window by firefighters inside.


Put on your self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), SJFRD F/Lieut.  Bobby Connolly prepares to enter the Brigade Street structure fire at Buckmaster's Circle on Wednesday morning April 27, 2022, as smoke billows from the NLHC dwelling.  -Joe Gibbons/The Telegram - Joseph Gibbons
Put on your self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), SJFRD F/Lieut. Bobby Connolly prepares to enter the Brigade Street structure fire at Buckmaster’s Circle on Wednesday morning April 27, 2022, as smoke billows from the NLHC dwelling. -Joe Gibbons/The Telegram – Joseph Gibbons

Some of the cats were removed from the residence by firefighters and taken to family members and neighbors who were sitting on a lawn across the street, and placed in animal cages.

Eastern Health paramedics were on the scene and examined the residents as a precaution, but no further medical treatment was required.

The RNC was also present and officers spoke to the occupants and also obtained statements from them, while NLHC staff were present to arrange temporary accommodation for those affected.

Smoke eaters were used to blow remaining smoke from affected and nearby homes, and firefighters left the scene after the go-ahead was given and an interior check of the house was carried out to ensure that the fire was out.



Previous story

Members of the St. John’s Regional Fire Department extinguish a fire in a house adjoining Buckmaster’s Circle.

The fire reportedly started in the basement of the Brigade Street residence.



All the occupants of the house were able to escape, as well as several cats who were in the accommodation.

Firefighters are looking for more cats inside.