Sheldon, Iowa – Sheldon firefighters responded to two calls within three hours Friday afternoon and evening.
The first call came at 4:28 a.m. Friday afternoon, when the department was called to a chimney fire at 3271 Oak Hill Avenue. According to Deputy Chief Brad Hindt, before firefighters arrived on the scene, a resident removed the chimney cleanout plug and discharged a fire extinguisher down the chimney. Hindt says when firefighters arrived on the scene, they found no flames, only light smoke coming from the top of the chimney.
Firefighters use an extension ladder to reach the top and dismantle the chimney. Hindt says the cause of the fire appears to be a clogged chimney cap.
There was no damage to the interior of the house, the damage being limited to the exterior chimney.
Hindt says firefighters returned to duty at 5:45 a.m. Friday afternoon.
Just two hours later, at 7:42 p.m. Friday night, Sheldon Fire was called to the area of 900 West 16th Street, where a passerby noticed a strong burning smell and haze in the air.
When the Sheldon Fire Department arrived, Deputy Chief Hindt said firefighters found a strong odor and light smoke. He says further investigation revealed a pile of rubbish at a nearby farmhouse that was smoldering. According to Hindt, it was a good-intentioned call from a concerned citizen.
Sheldon Fire was assisted by the Sheldon Police Department and resumed duty at 8:15 p.m. Friday night.