M&S stops selling disposable barbecues as London firefighters push for outright ban

M

&S will stop selling disposable barbecues nationwide to prevent grass fires.

The London Fire Brigade has launched a campaign calling for a total ban after a series of grass fires swept through the capital last month, prompting the brigade to experience its busiest week in history.

M&S said it would no longer sell them nationwide as a “precautionary measure” due to the hot and dry conditions.

He said he had already withdrawn them from sale in London and near parks for safety reasons.

In a statement, the retailer said: “At M&S ​​we want to help protect open spaces and reduce the risk of fire.

“We had previously stopped selling disposable barbecues near national parks and in London, but given the exceptionally hot and dry conditions, we took the precautionary step of removing them from sale across the UK.”

Waitrose and Aldi had previously announced that they would no longer sell the products over environmental and safety concerns.

The move comes as London firefighters push for a full ban, saying barbecues sold for as little as £5 could cause “incalculable harm”.

London firefighters attended more than 1,000 fires in a week during last month’s record heat wave, taking more than twice as many calls as usual and tackling an unprecedented number of large grassland fires.

Squad leader Andy Roe said people were behaving “recklessly” and “recklessly” despite warnings about the grass fires.

On Saturday July 23, firefighters prevented a serious fire in Wanstead Flats, east London, caused by a disposable barbecue.

He said: “Last week is another example of how we are increasingly challenged by new extreme weather events as our climate changes and we are developing long-term strategies to cope with more incidents like this in the future.”

The National Fire Chiefs Council has warned UK cities, including London, to prepare for wildfires.