EATON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WILX) – News 10 learned more about the house fire that injured a father and daughter on Tuesday.
Several fire departments responded to the scene in the South Stewart Road area after the call for help was made early Tuesday afternoon. When paramedics arrived, they said they found the back of the house completely engulfed in flames.
Context: Video — Two injured in Eaton Township home fire
Neighbors told News 10 they heard a loud explosion that shook the windows of nearby homes. When they left, a column of smoke rose from the house. Charlotte Fire Department Chief Robert Vogel said it was one of the toughest he had ever seen.
“It was a very unique call. In my 33 years of service, I haven’t seen this much damage from an explosion,” Vogel said. “The back of the house had been blown out and was in fire. The fire was spreading to the front of the house. We had to take care of the adult male, who was badly burned.
Vogel says the man who was at home is now fighting for his life after suffering 2nd and 3rd degree burns to 60 per cent of his body. He is receiving treatment in the burn unit of a Grand Rapids hospital.
Her 5-year-old daughter was also in the house at the time of the blast, but somehow crawled to safety.
“We believe that after the explosion the adult male was ejected from the building. The young child then tried to crawl out of the building,” Vogel said. “The father returned – he was engulfed in flames – and helped his young daughter out of the house.”
The authorities are still trying to figure out the order of events.
Vogel told News 10 that despite the extent of the damage to the home, the girl only had a few scratches. He added that it was a miracle that she got away with as few injuries as she did.
The man’s wife and two other children were not in the house at the time of the explosion.
Michigan State Police ruled the cause of the explosion unintentional.
“We relied on the Michigan State Police to conduct the investigation,” Vogel said. “I know they deemed it unintentional, like an accident, yesterday. We believe it was improper storage of a propane tank, but I am still awaiting their final report. »
The family lost their home and most of their possessions in the fire. They have a GoFundMe page set up for those willing to help. Anyone interested in making a donation can do so on their DONATION PAGE.
Continued: Man suffers severe burns after being thrown from Eaton County home explosion
Copyright 2022 WILX. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to our News newsletter 10 and get the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.