Dublin firefighters have warned the public about fire safety in apartments following the tragedy in New York yesterday.
At least 19 people were killed in the Bronx building fire and 63 people reported injuries.
An electric heater is blamed for creating the flames, with the incident being called New York’s worst fire in more than 30 years.
A DFB spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with everyone involved in the devastating fire in New York, especially those who lost their lives, their families and friends.
“Investigators report that an open door contributed to the spread of toxic smoke throughout the building.”
The DFB gave the following advice following the tragic accident: “If you discover a fire in a building, close the door and give the alert. This is the single most effective measure you can take to slow the spread of fire and smoke.
“If you live in an apartment building, make sure the fire doors are closed at all times*. They should not be held open.
“Damaged or ill-fitting doors should be reported to the building management company and promptly repaired or replaced; they have an obligation to carry out this work.
“Some fire doors may be equipped with a self-closing device and will close in the event of a fire alarm. These are usually found in commercial buildings and work spaces. They are not commonly found in apartment buildings.
JTo get the latest news straight to your inbox, sign up for our free newsletter.