Dublin firefighters advise against doing one thing that increases the risk of a house fire from cigarettes

Dublin firefighters have issued a warning about the potential devastation of house fires caused by cigarettes and vapes this Christmas.

Some people even block smoke alarms when they go off from cigarette smoke, a practice fire chiefs have called a “dangerous game”.

DFB said: “It is not unusual for us to see smoke alarms covered or removed due to cigarette smoke activations.

“It’s a dangerous game. Heat detectors can replace smoke detectors but aren’t as effective.”

Cigarettes are thought to cause up to a quarter of all fires nationwide.

Firefighters have taken to social media to issue advice that can keep people at home safe through the festive season and beyond.



Dublin firefighters have warned people not to smoke in bed” content=”https://i2-prod.dublinlive.ie/article22446206.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Dublin-fire-Brigade-bed-smoking.jpg”/>
Dublin firefighters have warned people not to smoke in bed

They said: “Cigarettes are another common cause of fires. Make sure they are completely extinguished before disposing of them.

“Get in the habit of wetting cigarette butts before disposing of them responsibly. Empty ashtrays often.

DFB also warned that vapes and e-cigarettes can also pose a danger.

They added: “If you use an e-cigarette or vape, treat it like any other device; do not overload them and discard them if you think they are defective. Load them on a solid, non-flammable surface.

“We see fires in the house because of cigarettes. You should not smoke in bed, when you are tired, after taking sleeping pills or under the influence of alcohol.

“Cigarettes can smolder on bedding or clothing for a long time. The person may not even be aware of it.”

To receive the latest Dublin news every day, sign up for our free newsletter